The Kaduna State College of Nursing and Midwifery has confirmed the death of one of its students, Lydia Dantata, who was a victim of a fire incident that started at a petrol filling station opposite its Kafanchan campus.
About 10 students of the school were caught in the fire which occurred at the petrol station where they had gone to charge their phones last Tuesday, NAN reports.
The students, it was gathered, had gone to charge their phones at the filling station because there was a state-wide power outage that followed the five-day warning strike embarked upon by members of the Nigeria Labour Congress last week.
It was stated that the fire broke out when an extension box provided for the students sparked a fire at the same time petrol was being discharged from a tanker at the station.
The overseer of the campus, Ephraim Dyages, said in Kafanchan on Monday that Dantata died at about 3 am.
The student died at the Jos University Teaching University (JUTH) where she was receiving treatment alongside another student after they sustained first degree burns.
Dyages said five other students were still receiving treatment at the General Hospital, Kafanchan, noting that the parents of three others requested to take their children elsewhere.
“Two students were taken to JUTH, and unfortunately we lost one of them and the others are at the General Hospital, Kafanchan.
“The cases of five students taken to the General Hospital, Kafanchan, can be managed there though their injuries were not minor.
“Initially, there were eight students at the hospital, but the parents of three of them requested to take them elsewhere for treatment,’’ he said.
PROMOTE YOUR | MUSIC| VIDEO | COMEDY SKIT | MIXTAPES HERE ON CONNECTNAIJA CALL/WHATSAPP : +2348122390211