Blessing Oborodudu made history on Tuesday at the Tokyo Olympics when she became the first Nigerian to win an Olympic medal in wrestling.
Her silver medal is also Nigeria’s second medal at the ongoing Olympics after Ese Brumewon a Bronze Medal in Long Jump event
She came second behind the United States in women’s freestyle (68kg) wrestling, losing 4-1.
The win also makes it Nigeria’s highest-ranking medal since the 2008 Beijing Olympics.
Here are 10 things to know about her.
1. Blessing Oborodudu was born on 12 March 1989.
2. Her parents were initially against her ambition to become a sport wrestler.
3. She has won a gold medal at the African Wrestling Championships every year for the last 11 years.
4. She competed in the freestyle 63 kg event at the 2012 Summer Olympics and was eliminated in the 1/8 finals by Monika Michalik.
5. She won the bronze medal in the women’s middleweight at the 2014 Commonwealth Games after defeating Chloe Spiteri in her bronze medal match.
6. She also competed in the women’s middleweight at the 2016 Summer Olympics, losing to Soronzonboldyn Battsetseg in the second round.
7. She won a gold medal for the women’s 63 kg category at the 2017 Islamic Solidarity Games.
8. She won a gold medal at the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games in the 68 kg women’s freestyle wrestling event, defeating Canada’s Danielle Lappage.
9. She qualified at the 2021 African & Oceania Wrestling Olympic Qualification Tournament to represent Nigeria at the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Japan.
10. In June 2021, she won the silver medal in her event at the 2021 Poland Open held in Warsaw, Poland.
PROMOTE YOUR | MUSIC| VIDEO | COMEDY SKIT | MIXTAPES HERE ON CONNECTNAIJA CALL/WHATSAPP : +2348122390211