The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice,
Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, has refuted reports that he had signed a non-prosecution
plea bargain with the former Central Bank Governor, Godwin Emefiele.
Emefile and his associates were slated for arraignment over
N6.9bn procurement fraud at the Federal Capital Territory High Court in August.
To date, the case had been stalled, fuelling speculations he
had opted for a plea bargain with the Federal Government on the matter.
A report recently claimed that Emefiele and the Federal
Government represented by the AGF had signed a plea bargain, while the
signature of President Bola Tinubu was being awaited to complete the process.
However, in a statement on Sunday by the Ministry of Justice
spokesperson, Modupe Ogundoro, the AGF described the report as false.
The AGF said no such agreement exists between his office and
the embattled former CBN governor.
The statement read, “The attention of the Office of the
Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice has been drawn to
reports alleging that the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria,
Godwin Emefiele, and the Federal Government of Nigeria, have agreed to a
non-prosecution plea bargain arrangement.
“The Office of the Attorney General of the Federation and
Minister of Justice hereby state clearly that these reports are completely
“It would be noted that the legal team representing Godwin
Emefiele had expressed its intention in court at the last hearing to initiate a
plea bargain arrangement. However, no such arrangement has been reached with
Mr. Godwin Emefiele or his representatives.
“We wish to advise the media and members of the public to
kindly disregard the said false report. The Office of the Attorney General of
the Federation and Minister of Justice will continue to take all actions in the
interest of the Nigerian public.”
PROMOTE YOUR | MUSIC| VIDEO | COMEDY SKIT | MIXTAPES HERE ON CONNECTNAIJA CALL/WHATSAPP : +2348122390211