Egypt’s Sisi announces third term bid
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has announced his candidacy for a third term in office, ahead of the December elections he is widely expected to win.
He made the announcement today, Monday, October 2.
“As I have responded to the people’s call before, I heed the call now and announce my intention to run and complete the dream in a new presidential term,” Sisi, 68, told a cheering crowd in Egypt’s new capital — the crowning jewel of a megaproject in the desert east of Cairo.
State-aligned television showed thousands of people celebrating the announcement in ready-built stages across the country.
Earlier on Monday, rallies were held in Cairo calling for Sisi to declare his candidacy.
“There is no one better for the future,” said Hassan Afifi, a teacher who escorted a bus full of his students to a rally in western Cairo.
Sisi urged Egyptians to head to the polls on December 10-12 “even if not to vote for me”.
The president, whose security forces have been accused of harassing and detaining opponents, applauded other candidates and hailed “a real beginning to vibrant political life full of pluralism.”
A handful of party leaders have said they had already gathered the necessary 20 nominations from parliament.
PROMOTE YOUR | MUSIC| VIDEO | COMEDY SKIT | MIXTAPES HERE ON CONNECTNAIJA CALL/WHATSAPP : +2348122390211