The ministry of interior has commenced the full automation of passport applications for Nigerians nationwide and in the diaspora.
Last year, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, the minister, assured Nigerians that the automated system, when fully launched, would be digitally inclusive and ease passport application. As the system launches today, the ministry has released five do-it-yourself for Nigerians.
Before accessing the immigration portal, new applicants must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be Nigerian.
2. Must have the National Identification Number (NIN).
3. Passport photograph that meets the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) standards. 4. Supporting documents such as the birth certificate and local government certificate of indigeneship. For renewal, applicants must have their old passport number and all that is already mentioned above.
The five simple steps to apply are:
1. Accessing the online portal on your phone or computer: Visit https://passport.immigration.gov.ng/ and enter your NIN to autocomplete your data from the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC).
2. Complete other data sections such as applicant’s date of birth.
3. Upload your passport photo and other required documents.
4. For your biometrics, select the nearest immigration office and a date for centre availability will be recommended to you.
5. Visit an immigration office for biometric capture.
In October 2023, Tunji-Ojo also promised that by February 2024, passports will be delivered to homes and offices of applicants.
“We have commenced the automation of our end-to-end passport application process, and we have given a timeline from which Nigerians will begin to experience the sweet experience,” he said at the opening ceremony of the University of Lagos 2023 International Week.
“By implication, Nigerians will not need to wait longer than two weeks before they get their passport.
“By January next year, Nigerians will be able to complete this application process online, and by February next year, with collaboration and partnership with other relevant stakeholders, Nigerians will have their passports delivered to their homes, offices, and other locations of their choice.”
PROMOTE YOUR | MUSIC| VIDEO | COMEDY SKIT | MIXTAPES HERE ON CONNECTNAIJA CALL/WHATSAPP : +2348122390211